It’s hard enough to style an amazing outfit on a regular day, but add to that nausea, increasing belly size and general fatigue, it’s no wonder women struggle to feel put-together during thier pregnancies. Often, dressing well is the last thing on your mind! I don’t blame you… I know it was crazy hard for me to get out of bed most days, but when I did put in a little effort I saw that I actually felt a lot better! It also helped that I had a few go to items that I wore and used to make it easy for myself to look and feel my best without a crazy two hour get ready session.. Because when you are pregnant.. You have like a 15min patience window! (Comment if you agree!)
Here is my list of those essentials!
- Belly Band: this little stretchy band helped hide the underside of my bump when I wore tops that we’re getting too short in the front as my belly grew! It also helped keep non pregnancy pants up in the beginning of my pregnancy when I was too big for my regular pants but putting off buying meternity jeans. ( I was hell beant on NOT buying a ton of maternitywear!
- Maternity tanks: these tank tops were amazing! They are designed to grow with your bump and give you a smooth appearance. Also with your growing bump, the girls also get larger and these tanks do an awesome job keeping them tucked in and cozy. Lol.
- Maternity leggings: aka. Life. I wore these 90% of my pregnancy! With tunics, sweaters and dresses (when shaving my legs became a chore I did not want to partake in… Let’s be honest here.) It’s okay to splurge a little on these leggings because they have the amazing band that flips up to smooth your tummy and offer support or flips down to cradle your bump, which ever you find more comfy! Also, they come in a variety of colours and denim as well, so basically, it’s your all-in-one!
- Cute flats: ladies, honestly, you will be wearing a lot of flat shoes. And not all flats are created equally. Please do yourself the favour and get flats that have cushion in the soles and possibly even grips. If you are clumsy like me, you’ll want to make it your life’s goal not to trip, slip or fall!
- Sweater dresses: I LOVED wearing sweater dresses while I was pregnant. They were super comfy and they made my tummy look adorable! And they stretched to constantly fit my growing bump! Also, most of these dresses you can get away with buying from the regular section!
- Wrap dresses: oh em gee. So comfy, so flattering, so cute, with a bow on top! Seriously, need I really say more? They show off the best parts of a preggo body! Find your favourite and buy one in every colour because you can’t go wrong! I promise!
- Cardigan:Obviously comfort is the number one priority when it comes to styling your bump. This is why cardies are so great! They are super simple to style and can be worn with almost everything. Plus they give you a little coverage if it’s cold and you don’t want to wear a coat.(Believe me, coats are a different kind of monster to a hormonal pregnant lady. I warned you.)
- Maternity denim: let’s just say, when you and those stretchy tummy panels meet, you’ll be in love and wonder what you’ve been doing all these years trying to fit into skinny jeans. Elastic waistband FTW! They are a godsend and I want to kiss the person that invented them. They come in all different cuts and stretch panelling options (side panels or belly band types) so you will find the one just for you… Then you will proceed to wear them through your pregnancy and well into mommiehood! (What? Don’t judge! Plus they come in handy later during the holidays when you eat yourself into a food coma.)
- Scarves: So one thing that really irks me about maternity clothing is that a lot of the clothing are low cut. I mean I get that the twins ( see what I did there? Baby humour. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to my bad jokes…) are on their best behaviour but sometimes it can be a tad too much attention. I also found myself wearing a lot of black and grey so this was a way to add colour and keep attention off my bump.
- Maxi skirts/dresses: I can’t begin to tell you how much I loved maxi skirts and dresses for my preggo belly! They were super flattering and with a wide array of fabric options, you can pick how casual or fancy you want to go! Also this is a great option for those I-can’t-be-bothered-to-shave-my-legs days. (I know…)
I hope you liked this list; I hope it covered a few of the basics you might want to pick up to make dressing your bump a stress free experience.
Thanks for stopping by!